Saturday, January 9, 2010

Welcoming a New Term!


Bradshaw Period - Nine Tassel Bradshaw Figures - detail - 390mm (15ins) to 730mm (29ins) - possibly engaged in a ceremonial dance. Notice the bangle bracelets!


One of the things I love about my work is the ongoing process of reconnecting with great works of art. Each term there are new classes to develop and teach--and the topic ideas emerge from examining art from different perspectives--and in a variety of contexts. Whenever I teach a group of students, or mentor an individual, I become excited all over again about art and art history--and the astounding vision and talent that goes into artistic creation. I also learn as much from my students as they learn from me--and benefit enormously from keeping up with the latest scholarship in art history--and the newest developments in art materials and techniques. In essence, teaching is an ongoing learning experience--and one that I find inspiring, rewarding and joyful. This term, I'm teaching the second half of a Western art survey, American genre painting, a special program on the sculpture (or designs for it) of Leonardo da Vinci, and the History of Photography. In fine arts, I'm teaching painting, dry pastels, pen & ink, and oil pastels. So I'm a busy person--as usual! Genre painting refers to works about people engaging in everyday activities. When considering how to approach the American genre painting class--I decided to explore just how far back in time genre painting extends. Lo' and behold--I discovered it dates all the way back to pre-history. In the Bradshaw paintings discovered quite by accident in the Northwest corner of Australia (the Kimberleys) in 1891 (by Joseph Bradshaw)--we see human beings (otherwise unheard of in prehistoric art) likely engaged in ceremonial dance. These works are quite sophisticated, and very different from the prehistoric cave paintings of such places as Lascaux and Altamira. These mysterious rock paintings could be anywhere from 17,000 to 50,000 years old. Our knowledge of how humans lived long ago has largely been determined by examining art. Scholars look at numerous works and piece the history together, step-by-step. Much of what we know about ancient Greece, for example, has been determined by the images on vase paintings. A fascinating process--wouldn't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment